On a different note, safety can also be measured by the regular maintenance of one’s vehicle. As Canadians, we must endure harsh Canadian Winters and we can discuss the benefits and also some cons of installing winter tires.
Some drivers swear by installing winter tires every winter, however, some people claim that all-season tires are good enough to use during winter months, however, the majority of studies / evidence points to the merits of winter tires.
Most tire experts agree that in most cases, winter tires outperform all-season tire on cold surfaces and in harsh winter conditions. A study by Transport Canada solidifies this thinking as their data confirms that all-season tires are less effective than winter tires when temperatures drop below -10 Celsius.
It has been reported that a proper winter tire can “improve braking up to 25% over an all-season radial tire, and can improve collision avoidance by almost 38%.”
Last year, insurance companies have started giving incentives on their client’s vehicle policies if they install winter tires on their vehicle. The reason for this is studies have shown that winter tires have a positive effect on the accident toll rates in cities and studies have shown a decrease by 5% in road accident victims with winter tire installation !
All-season tires are not manufactured with the same cold-weather rubber compounds, tread swipes or water channeling tread patterns for deep snow traction as their counterpart winter tires.
A common mis-conception also among drivers is that since most new vehicle are front-wheel drivetrain, one can install only 2 winter tires on the front. That couldn’t be further from the truth as all 4 tire should be replaced with winter ones. All vehicles require both forward and sideways traction in order to prevent loss of control in icy winter conditions.
If you have made the smart decision to install winter tires on your vehicle this winter, please read the following recommendations
- Always install 4 winter tires and not 2 to give you optimum vehicle handling, optimize ABS and electronic stability ride systems.
- It’s a good idea to install winter tires about 2-3 weeks BEFORE the first snowfall.If you wait until after the 1st major snowfall, you will encounter a mad rush at service centres and wait times can be hour !
- Don’t keep winter tires on your vehicle all year round.Winter tires should be removed when the temperature is constantly above 5 degrees C.Winter tires are not effective in summer months and don’t effectively stop in dry summer conditions.
- Consider buying a separate set of winter only tire and rims.This way they are easier to install and remove each season.You can save your nice fancy rims for summer and use plain steel rims for winter.
- Buy snow tires in the proper size for your particular vehicle.Look in your owner’s manual for the recommended size for your car !
- Ensure your tires are properly inflated.People should check their tire pressure at least once a month as when temperatures drop in the winter, tire pressure can decrease !
- Store your winter tires properly and flat. Improper tire storage can damage the tires and shorten their lifespan.Most service centers offer tire storage at a nominal fee.
The only con to installing winter tires is the cost. Also,it costs money to install and remove the tires each season. Also, when you sell your car, you most likely have to sel the winter tires with the vehicle because each vehicle tire size is specific to that particular vehicle! But what price do you pay for safety ? If you can avoid a potentially dangerous accident by having winter tires its worth every penny of your investment. Safety is priceless !
With winter approaching, visit Best Deals Auto to install your winter tires and don’t compromise the safety of your vehicle and the safety of your loved one ! We are concerned for your safety ! Cal to make an appointment soon !